Glarus is the capital of the canton of Glarus in Switzerland. Since 1 January 2011, the municipality Glarus incorporates the former municipalities of Ennenda, Netstal and Riedern.
Glarus lies on the river Linth between the foot of the Gl?rnisch (part of the Schwyzer Alps) to the west and the Schilt (Glarus Alps)to the east. Very few buildings built before the fire of 1861 remain. Wood, textile, and plastics, as well as printing, are the dominant industries. The symbol of the city is the neo-romanesque city church.
The official language of Glarus is (the Swiss variety of Standard) German, but the main spoken language is the local Alemannic Swiss German dialect.
New Glarus Woods has small, primitive campgrounds that provide 18 drive-in campsites for tent, pop-up and small (RV) recreational vehicle camping as well as 14 "walk-to" sites for tent camping. The "walk to" sites are located 50 to 1,000 feet from a parking lot along a paved trail. Hand carts are available to help transfer your camping equipment to the "walk-to" campsites. There are also six group tent sites available for groups of up to 20 persons. The park has both wooded and meadow group sites. Only Sites #52 and the ADA accessible site #53 permit up to two wheeled campers. This campground does not have an RV dump or fill station.
In 1845 emigrants from the canton of Glarus in Switzerland, leaving their homeland because of dire economic conditions, established a colony in southern Wisconsin and named it New Glarus. Over the following years, more Swiss from various cantons settled in New Glarus and other areas of Green County. Throughout its history, the community has nurtured its Swiss cultural heritage. Today, the people of New Glarus maintain a high level of interest in the village’s origins, history, and family lineages, and continue to honor its heritage through festivals, historical museums, and the preservation of buildings, historical artifacts, and genealogical information.
More than 160 years after it was founded, New Glarus has maintained much of its Swiss heritage and old world traditions. Swiss-style chalets and flower boxes filled with red geraniums grace the streets of the village and Swiss flags fly next to the American flag at many businesses and homes. Old World meat markets, restaurants, and a Swiss bakery are also found in downtown New Glarus, along with folk art, museums, and Swiss-style shops. During our visit to New Glarus we will be touring the New Glarus Brewery, the Swiss Center of America, and the Swiss Historical Village. In the afternoon we will head to the William Tell Festival where we will enjoy this unique ethnic presentation of the William Tell Play. There will be a bit of free time to explore the many wonderful shops that New Glarus has. Before returning to Peoria, we will enjoy an all you can eat Swiss buffet with live music. Trip includes bus transportation on the ICC CougarBus, tour and entrance fees, lunch, buffet dinner, tips, and tax. Alcoholic beverages are not included. Moderate walking is involved. There are no restrooms on the bus, but frequent stops will be made.
Though Madison "was never known as an immigrant stronghold," throughout the 19th century, 10 to 15 percent of residents were German born, and 6 to 13 percent, Irish born (12). Most German and Irish immigrants, however, left the city for the farm. By 1845, the Germans had reportedly bought up a quarter-million acres of farmland. They came to Wisconsin, "by way of the Erie Canal and the Great Lakes, sweeping into eastern Wisconsin counties," including Jefferson and Dane (5). The Irish settled in Iowa and Green counties, where there was lead mining, and in Dane, Jefferson, Dodge, and Columbia counties (3).
Two other prominent groups were the Norwegians and the Swiss. The largest Norwegian settlement in early Wisconsin was Koshkonong in Dane County. Indeed, it became the "parent colony for Norwegian settlements throughout the United States" (6-7). German-speaking Swiss primarily settled in New Glarus and Monroe in Green County. In 1845, as a solution to the problem of overpopulation, the Canton of Glarus in Switzerland, offered to paying emigrants' passage and to buy them land in New Glarus (6).
One man who made this passage was Joshua Wild (1813-1879). Selections and summaries, from Wild's The Life Story of Myself follow.